3/1/11

Represent!

Modest. It's something that as Christian, we should all strive to be. Unfortunately, when you look at today's society, you don't see much modesty. Most of the lack of modesty comes from girls. You see a lot more than you want to see on the majority of girls today. Neck lines are cut so low that the shirt has now turned into a skirt. Skirts are so short they are now belts. I find myself asking why they even bother to wear clothes at all. Guys wear pants that hang so low and show their boxers; they have to hold onto their belt loops when they walk or else the pants will be completely off. This breaks my heart, especially when I see my Christian friends dressing this way. 

So whats the big deal? Why should we keep our attire modest? First off, 1 Peter 3:3-4 says, "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." God has given you a beautiful spirit! Let that shine from the inside out! When you allow your inner beauty to come through, I guarantee you will get more attention. My boyfriend David always tells me how beautiful I am when I step out of my comfort zone and become the confident woman that God has made me. It's when he see's me taking initiative and setting good examples that he finds me most attractive. 

Another reason we should be modest in what we wear is because of who we represent. As Christ followers, everywhere we go we represent Christ. As Christians, we are to be known as humble, generous, and modest people. The way we dress can affect the way people view us. Do you think that those who do not know Jesus will take you (as a Christian) serious if you were dressed with a low cut shirt, showing off things that don't need to be seen? Absolutely not!! They would view you just the same as the rest of the world. Not set apart, not leading the world through a holy revolution. You're viewed as a copy of the rest of society. 


Girls: 
  • no shirt should go past your collar bone. 
  • No belly shirts. Come on, this isn't the 80s!
  • And cool it with the short skirts and the short shorts, especially in the winter time (When it comes to the right length for your skirts and dresses, go with the 4inches from the knee rule) 
  • keep the underwear hidden. yuck. 

Guys: 
  •  Pull up those pants and slap on a belt! The boxers hanging out the back of the pants is SOOOOO 1990 I could barf (teehee). 
  • Whenever I see someone with their pants hanging so low that they have to modify the way they walk to keep those pants up, the "pants on the ground" song comes into my head. (Pants on the ground, pants on the ground. Looking like a fool with your pants on the ground.)  Boys, you look a whole lot more mature when your pants are worn correctly, and I have a whole lot more respect for you when I can't see your underwear.
  • Also, keep those graphic tee's appropriate. Steer clear of shirts that advertise alcohol, drugs, or tobacco.
God Bless,
Carlie

4 comments:

  1. What about Christians being modest with their life? The details that they think no one will ever find out? It seems what Christians do in secret could be more damaging than any clothing they choose to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes a great point! Thank you for bringing that up! I completely agree with you. I was more so aiming this type of modesty at clothing because my heart broke when I saw how some of the people dress at my youth group.

    I do agree with you though! You might find my blog post "Practice What You Preach" helpful when it comes to that type of modesty!

    Thanks for your input!
    Carlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MANY teen girls (& their parents) just “don’t get” how important the modesty thing really is. It’s not about making rules for them to follow . . . it’s about not causing others to stumble! Go to the following link and read “The Modesty Survey”. You will be surprised by the answers you will read there.

    http://www.therebelution.com/modestysurvey/

    Thanks so much to Carlie for opening this topic. I wish it was discussed more at youth group

    ReplyDelete